Sunday, November 25, 2007

Tap the Firken

Last night the missus and I were kid free and wanted to go out for dinner. On our way out to suburbia, I had the great thought of going to the 75th Street Brewery. She agreed and we were on our way.

The parking lot was jam packed as usual but we were able to find a decent spot for our environmentally friendly auto. Our server was especially friendly and knowledgable of the fine beverages served there and convinced me to try the Espresso Porter. My, what a beer. This beer was full of flavor. Words cannot discribe how I enjoyed this beer.

The great thing about the menu at 75th ST is that they pair the food with the beer. I found "bangers and mash" paired well with the espresso porter and ordered that. And yes, they did. Excellent food.

After the porter, I decided to go with the good old reliable Good Hope IPA. About this time, a bartender rolls an old fashioned keg around and places it on the bar. I find out this is the Firken and will be tapped in the old style by placing a tap right in the keg. No CO2...no cooling. Apparantly the bartender wanders the bar looking for a fortunate soul to tap this keg. I didn't know this and unsuspectingly asked about the funny looking tap he had in his hand. He explained the tapping process and offered to let me tap the keg. I was a little unsure about this until he proclaimed that the first beer from the keg goes to the tapper. I needed no further encouragement.

I followed my new best friend behind the bar hearing the calls from regulars like, "Who the F- is that?" and "That guy looks hot".

Shaking with anticipation, I was handed a rubber mallet. The bartender yelled to the bar "May I have your attention please! This faceless person with a 12 pack AKA Howling Lion is about to tap the keg!" With that, I hammered the tap into the keg with much fanfare from the bar. The tender poured two large pint glasses (everyone else got taster glasses...and had to pay for them) and we toasted to an exceptional beer. I returned to my table with the missus, a Firken, and an IPA. Needless to say it was my best night at the 75th Street Brewery.

4 comments:

Don Wolfe said...

Did you drive after drinking all that beer?

Anonymous said...

Congrats, you lucky bastard! So what kind of beer was in the firkin?

Howling Lion said...

I was not in driving shape after that. We agreed before going that the missus would drive so she had diet soda. As for the firkin...it was a very nice, hoppy pale ale. I had a half an IPA still when I got the firkin and neither messed up the taste of the other.

a beer sort of girl said...

Nice!