Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Maudite by Unibroue

This was given to me by a friend and for some reason I’ve been avoiding drinking it. Mainly because it’s usually found in the same section as the French and Belgian beers. But I decided tonight was the night. I just picked up a Doublewide IPA and a Long Strange Tripel (again) and figured if it was bad, I had something decent to fall back on.

I’ve decided the best way to taste a new beer is to expect it to be below average. That way you are either pleasantly surprised or at worst, not let down. In this case, I was pleasantly surprised.
According to Unibroue’s website, Maudite is a strong red ale refermented in the bottle. 8% alcohol. This is brewed in the Great White North...Canada.

The first interesting thing was that it’s a twist off cap. Not good or bad, but I was expecting a pop off. I poured it like I would a pale ale and it produced a large head. It’s a reddish, brown color. It smells malty, and no hops are present.

The first taste was much better than I had hoped for. It’s malty with a slight spicy flavor in the back ground. I didn’t notice any real hop flavor. With a slightly higher alcohol content, 8%, it wasn’t noticeable. Overall, it’s decent beer that I would definitely drink again. It reminds me of a weak Belgian strong ale or a strong under hopped red ale. As I type this up, I’m halfway through the glass and the alcohol is starting to kick in. The difference between the Maudite and other stronger beers is that it’s not so rich that one is too much.

The only bad thing about the Maudite, is the price. This bottle had a $2.50 price tag for a 12 oz bottle. At that price, it’s not something I would buy frequently but I would buy it on occasion for a change of pace.

Overall, if you haven’t had the Unibroue Maudite, don’t avoid it like I have. It’s full of flavor and your mouth will thank you.

How fitting...The Barenaked Ladies - The Old Apartment just came up on Winamp. Canadian band for a Canadian beer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you know if this is available locally?

I wonder if Canadian beer lovers hate Molson and LaBatt's?