Friday, November 16, 2007

Long Strange Tripel

I am a hophead. West Coast IPAs are my favorite. I’ll take a Stone Ruination IPA any day of the week. Belgian ale? I’ll normally not even give them a thought unless there is a special occasion then I’ll usually pick up a Chimay Blue. But I still picked up all four of the Boulevard Smokestack series and the Long Strange Tripel was the first one opened.

Please excuse the glass, most of my glasses are packed because we’re moving in a couple of weeks.

This is the first Tripel I’ve had so I didn’t really know what to expect. It poured a cloudy golden color (the bottle says to store upright…I noticed that after I took it out of the fridge on its side) with a light head. It has a nice malty, citrusy smell…but not hoppy. The first taste reminded me of the Boulevard Zon but with more flavor. At almost 9%, I braced myself for some alcohol kick but I was pleasantly surprised…there wasn’t any.

Towards the end of the bottle, the alcohol snuck up on me. I took my time with this beer to really savor it since I only bought one bottle (I’ll be picking up at least four more of these). But even taking my time, I was pretty giddy by the time I was finished. And I wanted more but it was time for bed.

Over all this beer should appeal to many beer lovers. After all, if a hophead Belgian avoider like myself would recommend this beer, it must be pretty good.
The The - Infected is playing.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm a hophead too and was really looking forward to the IPA but it didn't knock me out of the park. I'm a belgian beer fan too so I'm really looking forward to the Trippel and Saison, you're recommendation makes me want Trippel even more.

Anonymous said...

I was really looking forward to this beer, but now I'm a little less excited--I really disliked the Zon. So far the Sixth Glass has been my favorite out of the Smokestack series. I've tried the Saison and IPA, but quad is my fav so far. Thanks for the review. Nice site.

a beer sort of girl said...

Have tried the Saison & Tripel, not the others yet. I really really liked the Saison. Review still pending on my blog, but my fave so far.

Anonymous said...

I broke open the Tripel at the MU/KU game with Thorogood singing "I Drink Alone"

I remember I liked it, but not much else. Guess I will have to get another bottle.